There were lots of things that resonated with me while reading Anne Lamott's book, Bird by Bird. The chapter entitled, "Shitty First Drafts" made me laugh and also forced me to take a lighter perspective when it comes to writing. Writing doesn't have to be perferct, especially our first time around.
Anne's writing is simple and clear. She is honest in her writing voice which is something I appreciate. Her experience and tips on writing makes me look at writing from a different angle - a better angle. Becoming a general education teacher forces you to love and enjoy all subjects. Reading articles from authors who are passionate about their subjects, helps me see the value in being enthusiastic about all subjects and its importance when reaching kids. When I see or read someone passionate about what they are doing it also makes me passionate.
There is a risk factor when it comes to writing. "Write down all the stuff you swore you'd never tell another soul," says Lamott on page 5. As a reader, yes, I want to read juicy details. But, as a writer, why would I want to share my deep dark secrets? That's a tough one and a tough place for most people to risk exposing their real stories. It seems however, the real stories is what touches people, and in the bigger picture of things, your real story, and often times the most painful, can be the most beneficial to help someone. Often times you find out your not alone in your journey. But, someone has to be willing to write the story first.
Lamott also says writing is about tell the truth and to keep your reader in mind when writing. I had forgotten to keep the reader in mind. We are learning that in our classrooms we need to create a culture where kids can feel safe and take risks in their learning. It only make sense that this risk extends to writing. Funny but also true, when you first start to write a draft, if you think "shitty first draft," most people I think will be able to say, "well, sure, I can do that." This idea helps put thoughts and the thinking on paper without the pressure of over-thinking. Teachers cannot use these specific choices words to explain this concept of what can help them start to write, but we can certainly take that idea and make it kid-friendly. Maybe, "poopy first draft?" I'll still be thinking of a kid-friendly slogan.
On page 28 Lamott writes, "Perfectionism mean that you try desperately not to leave so much mess to clean up. But clutter and mess show us that life is being lived." This relates to other ideas we are learning in teaching: active learning and making subjects relatable to our students' lives. I also like the passage Lamott shares on what to do when you hear chatter, or distracting thoughts. She describes pretending the person is a mouse. "Pick it up by the tail and drop it into a mason jar" (p.27). It is nice to know that even published authors need to have strategies that help them clear the negativity and distractions so writing can become fun and focused.
Bird by bird or little by little or just lighten up, are good reminders when we feel we have a duanting task in front of us. Do a little or a short assignment everyday puts things in perspective. We all need a little perspective in our life. Now, how do we share this with our students?
Writing Essentials by Regie Routman helps relate this perspective to kids and our classroom. "We are overfocused on procedures, processes, genres, and testing and underfocused on thinking, communicating, inquiring, and exploring language" (Routman, p.5). Routman and Lamott have similar themes when they talk about writing, however the way it's expressed is different.
I like Routman's point that, "Too many of our students find writing painful, and much of that pain comes from too much concern with correctness at the expense of enjoyment. Enjoyment and writing have not coexisted, and they must do so if all our students are to become proficient writers" (p.18). Teachers need to show kids how writing can be fun and celebrated. In the same way we need to see the brilliance in our students writing and examine our own beliefs. Just like Lamott's message for adult writers, Routman writes the improtance of teachers to taks risk and share something perosnal. Let students see the actual process and stumbles even teachers make when they write. I said the same thing in the paragraph above about how it was nice to see even published authors have their messes when it comes to writing. Both teachers and students (everyone) often need reminders that nobody is perfect.
Good writers are also good readers - both Lamott and Routman make this connection a main point for their audience. Writing and reading go hand-in-hand and it's better to have fun and see the enjoyment and perspectives in both.
Lamott really helped me feel relieved that I wasn't the only one with a "shitty draft." After finish Lamott's Bird by Bird this week, I felt more confident about my writing and kind of made me want to write. I do want to write, but seems like I can't find the time for personal or leisure writing this quarter with heavy loads of assignments. Maybe I'll find some "brocoli" time that Lamott mentions on pg 110. Just need to get quite and try to hear that small voice inside me:)
ReplyDeleteI also like Routman's point that too many of our students are finding writing to be painful, being too concerned about correctness. It sounds like me in High school. I hope to teach my students how to "enjoy" reading and writing.