Friday, October 8, 2010

Music During Independent Work Time

In my dyad placement, the teacher often plays calming piano music during individual work time. She said she uses it as "white noise" because when it is super quiet, you can hear everything. She also uses it during assessment time.

I just realized how calming music can be again, and I've even started playing calming piano music while I do my own work. Oh, the power of music!

Here's one I found on YouTube that's nice:

3 comments:

  1. Sheela,
    I agree that music is a powerful component of learning. It triggers an emotional connection to the experience at that moment, whether in the classroom, at the home office, or while relaxing and reading. In sharing this musical Dyad experience with you, I found myself sitting down to read with a bit of vacancy. What was missing? I immediately began surfing i-tunes this weekend and found Jim Brickman , "No Words"(solo piano). He is the artist you are speaking of above and happily, he now rounds out my classical collection. His link is below. David Repyak
    http://aeiouandsometimesthelettery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. correction on the link ...
    http://www.jimbrickman.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks David! So interesting that piano music was even played while the students were doing their math test today.

    ReplyDelete