Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Learning from my Experiences

Experiences and often mistakes are great grounds for learning.  This seems to be the case for me this past week as I video taped my first lesson, worked with my K buddy for the last time, and tried to figure how to use math manipulative's to add and subtract fractions.  New experiences sometimes takes us out of our comfort zone, but often brings us the most growth.  I sure cannot wait until my comfort zone expands and the tools in my "teacher tool box" (term my mentor teacher uses) becomes plentiful.

I recently did my very first lesson on homophones for their, there, and they're.  It is amazing what you can learn from a thirty minute lesson!  Below are a list of things I learned in just thirty minutes:

1.  Teacher should be at the front of the line if you want more control and so kids remember to be quiet in the halls.  If students are noisy while walking in line, the teacher can than stop the kids and remind them, "voices off."  (I was in the back of the line and the kids walked into the classroom loudly.  My master teacher and field instructor were there to witness this for me and let me know the best strategy to handle this.)

2.  Try to be more cognizant of what is going on in the back of the classroom.  As I watched my video taped lesson, there were girls in the back of the classroom waiving and smiling to the camera.  I laughed when I watched the tape, but I was totally unaware of their actions.  Changing position of instruction can help kids in the back of the room to pay better attention.

3.  Be aware if some students do not have a partner or neighbor to share their responses with.  Instead of "partner," use "turn to a neighbor" or "turn to someone next to you."

4.  During direct instruction, stick to your question.  During my lesson I asked a question and received a comment that did not relate to the question I asked.  I was advised to stop the student for the moment, and address her comment after my question has been answered first.  This helps with my train of thought and also acknowledges what I asked, and makes the presentation clearer for the rest of the class.  Some teachers also asks students to sign language what they want to share when they raise their hand: A for answer, C for comment, and Q for question.

5.  When working with kids using a white board, remind kids about white board etiquette.  Using a white board is a privilege and not for doodling, etc. For students that need think time, it is a good idea to have students turn over their white board at their desk.  This gives those students who need a little more process time, less pressure to write and answer so fast.  Then by the teacher prompt of "1,2,3, reveal" each student can hold up their white board by their heart, and then also share with their group or the rest of the class. 

6.  Never talk over students. 

7.  Don't forget a good closure for your lesson.  Leave students with something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh- I love your list of things you can learn in 30 minutes! I have benefitted from your 30 minutes, so thank you for sharing. I love the sign language for answers, comments, and questions - I am going to use that for sure.

    I totally agree with you about experiences and mistakes being great grounds for learning. Since my kids were born I have been "practicing" putting my pride aside and sharing my blunders with my kids, so they can learn from my mistakes. My dad did not admit when he made mistakes or when he was wrong about something. I couldn't have articulated how that made me feel at the time- but now I can tell you that I did not respect him because of that (he is a different person now and regrets the way he used to act- just so you know :). I learned from my experience that kids respect honesty and they appreciate adults being "real" with them.

    I appreciate you sharing your learning experiences with me. I look forward to reading more in the future.

    ReplyDelete