This week in math, we had a gallery walk and looked at everyone's graph that told a different story from www.gapminder.org. It was interesting how people represented data and how different people interpreted the information. What was clear to some people was not always clear to others. "Graphs should stand on their own" was a big idea and reminder that was shared in class.
I like the idea of groups producing a finished project, showcasing their work with a gallery walk, and also using sticky notes to ask questions. By asking question in an anonymous way, it provided an avenue for more feedback and constructive criticism. This type of feedback could be incorporated easily in a classroom.
Group work and collaboration lessons are great if it is done well with roles and part of the classroom culture. It appears a lot of upfront work on the teacher is in dividing groups, establishing roles, and making sure everyone is accountable for their part. Once these norms are established, I like how the students can run with the project themselves and the teacher is now more of a facilitator. Can this be done with primary students too?
A relatable YouTube video to open up a discussion or in this case math group work is a great idea. I like this type of hook idea. It shows relevance, humor, and thinking. I would definitely like to incorporate something like this in my lesson plans. I have embedded the video below to keep as a reference.
No comments:
Post a Comment