What did I learn?
This week I re-learned about the Zone of Proximal Development by Vygotsky. I was reminded about the tension in learning and our goal as teachers is to reach the "zone" where students are not bored nor are they filled with too much anxiety where they feel they cannot succeed. I am also reminded about the engagement part of teaching and how we often have to be actors and actresses when we teach. At the heart of teaching is care. Showing kids you care and teaching kids to care for one another will make the world better in the future. Good food for thought for Vaelentine's Day.
I also learned about about dynamic geometry in the computer lab. We went to the computer lab used Geometer's Sketchpad and Fathom. Sketchpad is quite fun and a very engaging way to understanding properties of quadrilaterals. Fathom was a great technology tool for students to not only graph but also understand the meaning. The big idea today was looking at how technology is shanging the way we think about math. Just a seed was planted today on how technology allows children to actually EXPERIENCE math. (Just like how video games can feel more life like, engaging, and now, get up out of your seat and actual dance to the music, this is where math is headed with technology.)
2. What do I have questions about?
I just wonder about the future and what it will look like with the iPods, smart phones, and all the new computer technology. I think it is exciting and great for teaching and learning. But, I also wonder about about the allocation of resources. Some kids will be exposed to the new technology and some will not. How will the new technology affect the achievement gap?
3. What are the implications for classroom practice?
Teachers wil need to keep up with technology and experiment with what's out there to find the best ways to use it in the classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment